There are many reasons to hire a consultant. When looking to improve something or make a change, consultants, like a trusted advisor, can help this happen more easily.
Discovering what is going on within an organization, team or work group is often hidden from those closest to a situation. The consulting process attempts to uncover what is actually happening, and remove the blocks.
Underlying assumptions: (based on Edgar Schein's process consulting model)
- People do not always know exactly what is wrong and need specialized help in identifying root causes and sources of problems.
- Most people have a constructive intent to improve things but they need help in identifying just what to improve and how to go about it.
- Organizations can be more effective when they learn to recognize their own strengths and weaknesses. The consultant can provide tools, training and insights that help to accomplish this.
Signs that indicate help is likely needed:
- Lack of trust and mutual respect
- People are saying "they" and "them" instead of "we" and "us"
- Low morale
- Procrastination (delaying action or putting things off)
- Increased blaming and conflict(s)
- Lack of clear focus
- Gaps in communication
- Things just don’t seem to be working right
- Changes are happening (or need to happen)
- Lower productivity
- Tense environment
- Lower creativity
Any one of these can trigger the need for help. Though we don’t know your business as well as you do, we know people, and what it takes to be effective in handling these concerns. If you have the sense your organization could be improved in such areas, process consulting may be a good choice for you.
To learn more or schedule a session, please contact us at 808-883-9791.